Tuesday, May 21, 2013

{GIFTS. SKILLS. WORTH. Running a creative business }



If you are a friend or client of mine it is not news to you that I am a 
{PHOTOGRAPHER}
 If you are a stranger coming across my blog then this is news to you! Well, I am. I am a photographer. A business owner. An artist. A creator. A memory preserver. And many other things that go beyond my job.

It took me awhile to call myself a photographer. With a degree in Graphic Design from the University of Sioux Falls, I have had much training in the areas of Adobe Creative Suite, a few photography classes and all of those fancy design terms like composition & rule of thirds. My education and my experience paved the way for me to be able to explore photography further. Honestly though, there are so many amazing photographers in this world, and specifically in our area that I often found it difficult to say "YES, I AM a photographer." as I felt I lacked experience or the "DEGREE" to prove it. In fact, my first camera was BORROWED most of the time, from my very gracious and supportive Sister-in-law, Karla. She allowed me to use hers while I explored the beginning stages of this adventure. That's love.

While I am always learning, and have learned so much since I first picked up a camera, I have also put so much time and effort into late nights learning, hours of experimenting, & many many many free sessions to come to this point. I feel as though I am able to call myself a PHOTOGRAPHER now. Not an expert, not perfect, but this IS my lively hood & this IS my joy & and this IS what feeds my family and provides for those things called BILLS that we all have.

I grew up with parents that owned their own businesses and still do. Remembering many amazing times, and some pretty tough times, wading through the trials that come along with writing your own paycheck & to be thankful if writing your own paycheck was even an option. I think it is honorable to own a business and that you can be so totally blessed by the freedom it can bring, if you are lucky ;)

That being said, I do not have direct deposit on the 1st and 15th. I don't show up to work, do my thing and come home. I wear all of the hats from the boss, to the accountant, to the manual labor, to the payroll etc and most of those things are not glamorous or my God given skill sets but they must be done. Overhead, taxes, keeping up with equipment, EXPENSIVE equipment etc. all parts of this job that are necessary to keep going.

One of those jobs is learning to say no. Learning that this is a business and if I give into this to help you, at what cost does it affect my family? I didn't always think that way. I wanted so much to just have everyone be happy and have a product even if it meant it was at the expense of my family. (which I wasn't aware of, and now am)

I still LOVE giving back. I believe that I have this gift for not just the ability to bring income to my family but also bring Joy to others and sometimes that means offering my skills out of the goodness of my heart for the sake of loving on someone else. I so so enjoy that and will continue to do so.

{SO MUCH GOES IN TO EACH SESSION!}
*Each session is thought out & planned with the highest quality and experience in mind all while keeping it economical. {I could go on and on about Department store photography pricing vs quality, comparing to mine but I won't.}

*My family steps up and takes River, my almost 3 year old so that I can work in the evenings while my husband works also. That means planning days/hours ahead, packing him up and taking him to another place and sometimes staying there late. He is such a trooper! AND I have the best family and friends who happily take him in so that I can keep on working! <3

*My job doesn't stop after the session is over either. Post processing, editing, tweaking, and creating with LOVE are also hours I continue to work so that the product I provide is not just a service, not just a paycheck but also a product that you will hopefully love for many many years and be so thankful you have.


{I AM HONORED.} I have the most amazing clients. So many have stuck with me from the very beginning and continue to support me as I grow. I have made friends through this adventure that I can't imagine not having in my life. 


Originally I was sitting down to write a blog about the frustrations of people not valuing my time and skill and I actually am finding myself feeling otherwise THANKFUL. I am truly blessed by all the sweet faces I have gotten to capture and feeling more honored than jaded. Thank you God, for making me aware of your presence and the blessing you have placed in my life by giving me this {GIFT}.


1 comment:

  1. Ashley Statema is a photographer. Ashley Statema is a photographer. Rinse & repeat.

    ReplyDelete